Friday, May 27, 2011

Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's Go Racin'!

Call me crazy.  Or maybe just passionate....but I'm racing every weekend for the next three weeks!  This weekend is the Toronto Women's Half which is half marathon number two for me this year.  Stop number 2 on the Half Marathon Hat-trick Train! 

I'm looking forward to it but I am somewhat apprehensive because my training has not been up to par (at least for me).  I also changed my strength training routine.  Well more like eliminated it.  I decided to do a boot camp instead.  Not sure how much that helped me as much fun as the workouts were, I think I am better off actually lifting.  But that's ok, I'll just start back up with that again after this race.  I know I've gotten faster, the question is (once again), just how much.  I'm hoping to go sub 1:45, which I think should be doable.  If I'm feeling REALLY good, maybe a 1:43.  We shall see.

Next weekend I'll be racing the Bread and Honey 15k in Streetsville.   Not sure how wise that is but it was only $40 to enter, there are some amazing draw prizes and it's close to home.    Plus a bunch of folks from my run club are probably doing to be doing it.

The following weekend, I'll be doing my first tri in 3 years.  The Woodstock Triathlon is the season opener for the Recharge With Milk Triathlon series.    It's a 500m swim, 20km bike and 4km run.   Separately I can do all of those distances.  Together, well, we shall see.  The really tough part is going to be the run off the bike.    I have done 2 bricks so far this year and both of them were awful.  So I now need to somehow manage to get those in on a regular basis over the next 3 weeks.   Especially since there has been a bit of a throw down between me and the G-Man.  I've basically told him I think I'll beat him in the run.  Not that I'll beat him in overall time, just that I'll have a better run split that him.  Being the stubborn old goat that he is (he is a Capricorn after all) he refused to concede to that.  Ok then, it's on.  It's ON LIKE DONKEY KONG.  I only hope that I'm not eating my words. But a little friendly competition never hurts. 

After all of this, I think I'm going to take a well needed break.

No comments: