Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Random Thoughts on Racing

I was thinking about what I enjoy about racing while in the pool today.  It's not uncommon for my mind to wander when I'm swimming laps.   Most people think I'm crazy, the folks I know that do race (whatever the sport), get me.   For me, racing is not just about competing.  That's part of it.  The big draw for me is the fact that I am forced to live in the Now.  Those of you that know me, know that I'm always planning something;  dinner, my weekend, my next training plan.  You name it and I'm probably working on a plan for it.   It's what I do in life and in work.  When I'm racing, I become very aware of my body and how I'm feeling.  It's all about assessing how I feel at that very moment in time.  Can I go faster?  Should I back off?   I don't think ahead to the next km.  It's all about the here and now.

That for me, is the single best gift racing has ever given me.

No comments: