Saturday, August 6, 2011

Running Adultery: My Take on the Saucony Kinvara

I have a confession to make.

I've cheated on my sole mate.

Cheated with a tarted up pair of Sauconys.  That's right.  I've committed running adultery.  And I have to say, it was nothing short of spectacular.   Don't get me wrong, I still love my Newtons.  But these Sauconys, well I've never felt this way in a pair of shoes before.

I first laid eyes on them a little under a year ago when a friend of mine bought a pair.  They were so light and flexible.  Almost like slippers.  "Oohhh", I thought, "I'd love to get a pair of those on my feet."  At that time I was newly in love with my Newtons and in the middle training for a marathon.  No point in straying...

Fast forward almost a year.  My current pair of Newtons are not doing it for me anymore.  I had decided to try a different pair in the Newton line up (The Lady Isaacs) and well, the shine had worn off.  So it only stands to reason that those tarty neon pink Sauconys took my breath away when I laid eyes on them in Sporting Life.  Especially when they were on sale for 50% off.  Nothing like a cheap tart to lead you astray.

I finally took them out for their first real test ride today.  They did not disappoint.  I felt like I was running on sponge pockets.  They were cushy and responsive.  And they made me feel fast, effortless and alive.   Like my first pair of Newtons did.  I did an easy half hour in them (along with my new orthotics) and it was sheer cushy joy, despite my tired legs.  Now, there were a couple of hot spots as these shoes are a bit narrower in the toe box than my Newtons.   Not totally annoying but then again I only ran for half an hour and I started to notice them about 20 minutes in.   I also noticed that my stride got a bit sloppy towards the end of my half hour.   I'm thinking the combination of 2 hard days of workouts and the low profile, limited stability shoe affected my stride.   It was still an enjoyable ride.  One that I definitely can't wait to do again.  But, and there is a but...I am used to running in Newtons.  I have worked hard on my running form, set several PBs and those shoes were a big part of all of that.  I can't just throw that all away.  Especially with my A-race coming up.

Totally not cool.

So, as much as I love the Sauconys, they will be my "special occasion" shoes.  My shoes for short distance races.   So for anything 10km and under, I'll lace up these neon pink ladies and give them the workout they deserve.  Something hard and fast.


No comments: