Sunday, September 4, 2011

Change In The Weather

As much as I hate to say it, it's getting to be that time of year again.   The air is noticeably different.  The humidity less frequent.  Yes folks, fall is on it's way.  The temperature tides are shifting. I witnessed it first hand up north this weekend.  The trees have started to change.  Never mind that it's only the beginning of September and "they" say we're supposed to have an Indian Summer.  Fall will be here before we know it.

I, for one, look forward the return of fall.  Don't get me wrong, I love summer - the long lazy days, the sunshine and blue skies - all of it is wonderful.  But there is something about the fall that I just love.  Fall is definitely my favourite running season.  The air is so much easier to breathe and I'm generally not covered in a layer of sweat and grime when I'm done a long run.   I love going out for an early morning run in the cool, crisp air.  Especially when the sun is shining and the leaves have started to turn.  Absolute heaven. 

For me, fall brings the end of triathlon season but ushers in a whole new running season.  There are multiple fall marathons to participate in along with a myriad of other shorter distance races.   It's nice to be able to take the fitness earned over the summer while gearing up for a longer A-race and test it out at a shorter late season race before the snow falls. 

The end of fall is usually when I take stock of my racing year.  Did I reach my goals?  What would I do differently?  Is there something else I want to try?  Fall is a time of reflection and re-evaluation.  It's time to relax, put my feet up and hope that my toenails grow back in time for another beating come January. 

No comments: