Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Athletic Bucket List

At some point in their lives, folks start to make bucket lists.  Life's last great "To Do" list.  For some that may include skydiving, running a marathon or seeing the Great Wall of China.   The things on it may change as one gets older or as things get checked off, new things may get added or old things may get fine tuned.  For anyone that participates in any type of individual competitive sport, this type of list generally comes with the territory.  Especially the more "into" a sport you become.   You will find all sorts of things to add to that competitive Bucket List.  Places to go, races do to, things to experience.  Over the years of my relatively young "athletic career", my athletic Bucket List has always been relatively simple.  Never more than a couple of things on it.  Qualify for Boston.  Check.  Do an Ironman.  Double check.  Run a trail race.  Check.  Run a sub 1:40 half.  Check.  Late last year a few more things were added:  1)  Run a sub 3:30 marathon.  2) Run the Marathon du Medoc (or eat and drink for 26 miles in costume) 3) Run the Big 6 marathons at some point in my life.  The Big Six being (as far as I understand it):  Boston, New York, Berlin, London, Chicago & Paris.  I've done Boston already and would like to do it again.  I have a score to settle there.  I just found out today that I am one step closer to checking another of the Big Six off my list.  I was officially accepted to participate in the New York City Marathon. 

I'm so excited I've been bouncing around all morning.  I've NEVER been to New York and neither has my husband so this will be a fun trip.  What better way to experience the city than to run through it? Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to taking a bite out of the Big Apple in November and crossing one more thing off my Athletic Bucket List!

No comments: