Saturday, March 17, 2012

Success!

I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive about heading out for a run today.  My leg felt better but I wasn't actually sure it would be better.  I've only had one A.R.T session so I didn't have super high hopes. I actually decided to get on my bike this morning for half an hour and get my legs properly warmed up before I went out.  I also opted to take my birthday Newtons out for their first trip.   It was supposed to be sunny and 15 degrees today but Mother Nature flipped us the bird and gave us fog and a drizzly mist so the temperature never really got about 7 or 8 down by the lake.   No matter, I busted out the capris and a vest.  White legs be damned. 

I worked up a good sweat on the bike, hustled upstairs and got my self ready.  10 minutes later I was out the door.  My first few steps were tentative.  I was expecting some kind of pain or discomfort.  Hmmmm....nothing!  My steps grew a bit more confident.  Still good.  Yes!  I settled in to a comfortable easy pace.  I only had 7km to cover so it was off to Marie Curtis Park and back.   The shoes were nothing short of amazing.  I never cease to be amazed at the difference between my "winter" trail shoes to my "summer" road shoes.  Both are Newtons but the trail shoes are so much more rigid and a fair bit heavier, which obviously makes sense.  They just don't seem to be that way when I'm wearing them, until I put these ones on.  They're like slippers.  Cushy neon yellow slippers. 

I literally bounded along to Marie Curtis.  I'm not sure if was the shoes or the fact that my legs just wanted to go.  Either way, I was happy.  I'm pretty sure I was grinning from ear to ear as I went along.
That's probably why I got a few weird looks from folks.  No matter.  I made it out to the park with NO issues.  I turned around and ran into the wind on the way back.  I did feel a few odd twinges and pinches here and there but nothing that was constant like on my last run.  It's still not 100% but it's close.  Good thing I have another appointment scheduled for Monday morning because I'm thinking I'm scheduled for a 29km re-do tomorrow.

No comments: