Sunday, April 22, 2012

Irie!

Feelin' hot hot hot.....feelin' hot hot hot. Yah Mon! Greetings from Jamaica! I'm sitting in the lobby of the lovely Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton, sipping a nice strong Jamaican coffee and nursing a small hangover from the Bride to Be's stagette last night. The trip has been wonderful so far. Amazingly I have not managed any weird sunburn patterns but I still have 3.5 more days to rectify that. After 2 somewhat booze filled days, I finally managed to get to bed early and get out for my first run at the resort yesterday. I wasn't expecting to be able to go far. I figured if I could get a couple of laps around the resort in, I might make 5km. It wasn't going to be an easy 5km. There is no such thing as flat here. I got out the door at 7:15 and it was already stinking hot. I ran up to the road along the top of the resort and just about died. It seriously felt like it was straight up. I followed the road along to the other side of the resort and wound my way through the paths and down to the beach. I got a lot of strange looks from the hordes of early breakfast goers. No matter, I was going to earn my pancakes this morning. I ran along the beach towards the point where all the fancy bungalows were and ran around the tip of the point. As I turned around I realized that it was going to be back up hill from there. 15 minutes in and I was already drenched. One loop of the resort was just over 2km. It was so hot I actually contemplated jumping on the dread mill at the gym but much to my chagrin, the 3 treadmills they had were all occupied. So much for that idea. So it was back out to the top road and back around the loop again. Up the gut busting hill. Down along the bottom end of the resort and along the beach. It may be hot as Hades but I really can't complain about the view. It's beautiful. I'd post a pic but I can't figure out how to load it from my ipad. As I huffed and puffed my way back up towards our building, I thought about breakfast. I looked at my watch as I stopped: 5.52km in just over 30 minutes. I wanted to run longer but I wasn't sure I could handle another lap. It was getting hotter by the minute. So I gave in and headed upstairs to shower and get some food. I'll try and tackle 4 loops tomorrow. I'll just have to make sure I stay away from the Dirty Bananas and Red Stripe. For now it's time for me to hit the beach and have a nap. Life sucks sometimes doesn't it?

No comments: