Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Sunday Ritual: Taking It Easy

Happy Sunday!  I say happy because it's the Sunday of a long weekend which means that I've got another day off.  WOOHOO!  I don't have any big plans for this Sunday as I'm trying to stay off my legs and spending 2 hours cooking in the kitchen isn't conducive to "taking it easy".  That being said, I've still got a few things up my sleeve.  I may actually split my cooking up over the next couple of days so I'm not actually on my feet for too long.

I usually make a breakfast frittata that lasts me the entire week but I'm a little bored with that.  I know I need something quick and easy so I'm going to turn to a Gourmet Nutrition favourite that I haven't made in ages:  the peaches and cream omelet.  Ontario peaches are in season right now so this is an amazing way to use them.  I know it sounds kinda strange but this dish is delicious.  The "omelet" part is almost like a crepe and the filling is cottage cheese, chopped fresh peaches and pecans.  I usually drizzle it with a bit of greek yogurt thinned out with some agave nectar.  A-ma-zing.  I can make the omelet portion ahead of time, split it (it's huge) wrap it up and put it in the fridge.  It will cover two breakfasts for me.  After that I may resort to making scrambled eggs and veggies.

I don't have much left in the way of burgers so I'm going to make another round of these burgers shortly.   My big plan tomorrow is to make use of the two pork tenderloins I bought a couple of weeks ago.  I bought some hickory wood chips so I can make some pulled pork.  Usually this is made with pork shoulder or pork butt but I like to try and keep it lean so I'm using tenderloin.  You lose a little flavour because of the lack of fat but I find that the smoke, the seasoning of the meat and the sauce I put on it after wards are good enough for me.

Since I'm not running at all again this week, I'll be home for dinner every night.  I'm trying to dice it up a bit this week.  In the summer I usually rely on the BBQ for most of our meals, which is not a bad thing, but that usually means we're eating meat, or a sturdier fish like salmon.  This week we're going to go meatless for several meals and I'm taking the cooking inside (gasp!).

I'm a big fan of smoked paprika and I am always looking for things to put it on or in.  It's fantastic in chili and on grilled chicken.  Last weekend I was going to pan sear some tilapia in coconut oil and I thought why not put the paprika on the tilapia?  Salt, pepper and a bit of smoked paprika smeared across the fish....oh yeah.  So, I'll be making that again this week.  That's meatless meal number one.
Number two will be lentil sloppy joes from Fuel Up.  I know right?  Sloppy joes made from beans?!?  Trust me, these are amazing.  Once again another opportunity for me to slip in a bit of smoked paprika into a recipe.  Even though the recipe doesn't call for it, I put it in anyway. This is a quick and easy meal which I absolutely love.  I think it's half an hour from start to finish.  Can't beat that!
Number three will be this salmon and kale salad from Cara's Cravings.  I will be making it without the soba noodles as I find it's filling enough as is.  It was one of my favourite meals but it's been a while since I've made it so I'm bringing it back this week. 
 Friday night we're out for dinner with friends so I've got us covered for the week.  It's also a short work week this week so this round of burgers will last me for the next couple of weeks.

Righty-o, time to get cooking!

I hope all my Canadian readers have had a fantastic long weekend!




No comments: