Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Christmas Already?

For the last couple of months, I have been going on about how, in the off season, I'm going to work on my biking.  Not like the last 2 years where I've said the same thing and not really done anything about it.  This time I'm serious.  I had said to the G-man that I'd love to get a Computrainer.  He said maybe that's what he'd get me for Christmas.  Maybe.  So I left it at that.  Sometimes maybe means yes, sometimes it doesn't.  If I was lucky, once and while he'd let me use his.  It's an incredibly useful training tool especially when you're stuck riding inside for 4 months of the year.  Holy smokes what a work out.  I work way harder on this thing that I do just riding my regular trainer, especially if I'm riding a pre-programmed course.

Since it's only mid September, I haven't quite finished riding outside yet but I have retired my tri bike for the season.  It's taken up it's usual position,  mounted on my Elite trainer, in front the of TV, not too far from the fan, ready for action. 

When I came home last night,  G was downstairs in the basement puttering around.  I yelled hello and asked him what he was doing down there.  "Being nice to you", was his response.  Oh really?  Of course I had to investigate.  So I wandered downstairs to see him crouched in front of my bike mounting the controls to what I thought was his Computrainer to my aerobars.  "I said Oh nice you're hooking up your Computrainer to my bike, that's so sweet."  He looked at me funny.  I then looked back to see that the trainer / flywheel part of his Computrainer was still sitting there with no bike on it.  I looked back at my bike and saw it sitting on a red trainer.  Wait a minute.  My trainer is yellow.  What the hell?  I then started laughing hysterically and jumping up and down like a 5 year old.  Christmas came early to the Kennedy Compound.  The G-man had got me my very own Computrainer. 
The basement training den is now complete!
There is manual for this that I apparently have to read.  Ugh.
I can't even begin to tell you how PUMPED I am about this.  I actually cannot wait to be holed up in the basement watching movies and sweating buckets.   I know, I'm just a little demented.  Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather ride outside but given that I live in the Great White North, that's not always possible in the winter months.  A Computrainer is the next best thing to getting the same kind of workout as riding outside.  In fact, I think it's actually harder because there's no coasting.  When you're going "downhill" on this thing, you still need to pedal because your little on screen icon stops moving.  Your legs don't get a break. 

Not only do I think this will help improve my cycling, I also think it will be beneficial to my running as well.  I plan on sticking to my FIRST training plan for Boston (3 days of running a week) and I will continue with 1 day a week of cycling, along with swimming and strength training.  Once Boston is done, I'll add another day of cycling in and then I should be good to go for a solid season of triathlon racing. 

I am still pretty gobsmacked that the G-man did this.  It was a pretty amazing surprise to come home to, especially on a Monday.  I think this is hands down the best surprise that I've ever gotten from G.  Well done G-Man, well done.

What's the best surprise your significant other has given you?








2 comments:

M said...

Great present, and awesome that it was such a surprise!

My best Christmas present from my hubby: a Cleaning Lady!

(Usually I read your posts in my RSS feed. Today I actually came onto your blog so I could respond. Now I can see the colour in your shoes. Cool!

M

Phaedra Kennedy said...

Ahh, a cleaning lady would be an awesome Christmas present!!! We finally bit the bullet and got one a few weeks back. Best decision ever. :)