Thursday, September 13, 2012

Playlist Thursday - EPICness

I missed out on last weeks Playlist Thursday due to a ridiculously busy weekend / week that left me mentally drained.  But, I'm back to participate in this weeks list.  Woohoo!

It's funny that Brian decided on this weeks particular topic because when I was out running a few Sundays ago, one of my chosen songs came on and I thought "Oh Man, I should email Brian and suggest he do an Epic Songs playlist".  But, of course I forgot.  Obviously that thought got out there somehow because lo and behold, that's what this weeks theme is.   Now his definition is slightly different than my definition so I'm going to combine the two for my picks.  When I think epic, I think big powerful songs that kinda make me feel like I'm a superhero when I'm working out.  I think that some of my choices could also be considered defining "anthem" songs of a generation so I'm mixing it up a bit today.

The "rules" of Playlist Thursday:
  
Something Old:  Songs that are at least 5 years old.  
Something Current:  Songs that have been released in the past year.
Something to Consider:  This is the wild card category.  Any song goes:  old, current, guilty pleasure, whatever floats yer boat.

Don't forget to head over to Brian's blog to check out all the other participant playlists!

Something Old:
Artist: The Clash
Title: London Calling
Notable:   This song (among several others) absolutely defined my early teenage years.  At the time this was as epic as it got for me.  The Clash embodied the essence of my teens, which was a lot of angst, anger and general rebelliousness.  I was that kid in all black with the weird hair.  Oh yes, my parents were proud.
Quotable"The ice age is coming, the sun is zooming in, engines stop running and the wheat is growing thin."



Something New(ish):
Artist: Muse
Title:  Uprising
Side Note: I'm totally taking liberties with this one in terms of it being "new".  It's not really but it doesn't fit into the "old" category either (it was released in 2009).  This is the song I was listening to when I was thinking about epic songs.  There's something so very...well, BIG about this song.
Quotable: "Rise up and take the power back, it's time the fat cats had a heart attack"




Something to Consider:
Artist:  Rush
Title:  Tom Sawyer
Side Note:  Listen to that drum solo.  I mean really, how on earth does Neil Peart do it?
Quotable:  "No his mind is not for rent, to any God or government"



What do you think?  Epic enough for you?
Oh and I promise that next week's list WILL NOT have any Rush on it. 

5 comments:

PavementRunner said...

Love MUSE... they are definitely the definition of some EPIC music. And no list would be complete w/out RUSH

Phaedra Kennedy said...

ha ha ha ha...I agree wholeheartedly on both counts, but I think I'd be hard pressed to find a Rush song that will fit in next weeks playlist Thursday!

kelly4482 said...

The Clash and Muse - nice!

Kate said...

The Clash - fantastic pick! I like that you mix time periods :-D. A playlist shouldn't be allowed if it comes from one decade only.

Phaedra Kennedy said...

I'm all about mixing time periods. I have the BEATLES on my playlist! Now THAT's kickin' it REAL old school!