Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Longest Short Week Ever

I feel like I have been out of the blogisphere loop forever, but really it's only been 5 days since my last post.  Where have I been hiding you ask?

Under a large pile of CHAOS, that's where.  2 photographers, 4 different projects, all happening consecutively.  Kill me now.

And you wonder why I have this sign outside my office door?



It seems that the advertising world has finally gotten back from their summer siesta and realized that HOLY CRAP, there's work to be done and it all needs to be done NOW.  Of course.  Not that I'm complaining because truthfully I'd rather be busy than bored, but, it would be nice it if was a steady stream of work versus an avalanche of insanity.   This always seems to happen when it's a short week.  I feel like I've put in 6 days of work in 4.  Ugh.  It certainly makes for the longest short week ever.

It's times like this that I am so happy to have an outlet like running.  I could be massive ball of stress when I finally leave the studio, but if I manage to get out for a run, by the time I get home, I'm back to my version of normal.   It's a sanity saver for sure.  And, it generally makes me a less cranky person to be around when things get crazy. 

While I find that running helps me deal with the stress of my job, I do find it harder to recover when I'm stressed out.  I know I don't sleep as well when I'm stressed either and that could be part of why I'm not recovering well.  I'll wake up at 2:00 am and think "Oh crap did I book the bug wrangler?"   Apparently stress plays an active part in how well you recover.    I never really thought about it until this week.  I wondered why I was dragging my butt through my workouts and just feeling crappier and crappier as the week went on.  My swim yesterday morning was horrible.  I had zero energy.  None.  Nada.  Zilch.  Probably because my stress level went from 10 to about 110 as the week progressed.  Granted I don't suffer from chronic stress as is mentioned in the article but it's pretty darn intense.  And to be stressed to the max for 4 days straight has to take a toll on you somehow. 

I know I was super stressed because last night I actually slept like a baby.  Didn't wake up once and I slept for 9 glorious hours.  NINE.  Oh yes.  I think I might have actually been in a coma.  It could have also been the 7.4% beer that I had with dinner.  I suppose if you're only going to have one, you've got to make it count!

At least the weekend is here and I have a couple of days to decompress and not think about what next week will bring.   In fact, we're finally having our open house / housewarming party that I've only been talking about since we moved back in to the house last Christmas.  We did a tear down and complete re-build last year, all in the span of 3 months.  Because I am a bit of sentimental fool, I documented the entire process.  If you're like me and enjoy poking through people's pictures on Facebook, you can check it out here.  Anyway,  I need to get my butt in gear to pick up the important things required for entertaining, like more 7.4% beer. I suspect that I will be running off a wee bit of hangover tomorrow and you know what, I'm ok with that. 

 What are your plans for this weekend?

Whatever you get up to, have fun and make it great!

No comments: