Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Ah Oui, Paris

It's the end of day four Paris and I finally made it out for a run yesterday.  Our original plan was to go on Sunday morning but a couple of drinks at the hotel bar turned into several when we met a lovely couple from Birmingham, England on Saturday evening. That meant we didn't get to bed until quite late, which meant that we slept in so late we would have missed our free breakfast had we gone for a run.  With the cost of food here, the last thing you want to miss is a free meal!  So we skipped out on a run in favour of walking around the entire south end of the city.  We found the Louvre, the Musee D'Orsay and we made our way over to the Eiffel Tower.  We didn't actually GO in to any of these places.  It was far too nice out and to be honest, the line ups were way too long.  We spent the day trying to get our bearings.  I can tell you one thing, this city is incredibly confusing.  Being from Toronto where the city is designed on a grid, it's easy to find your way around.  Here, there are roundabouts, streets that criss cross, and everything seems to run on the diagonal.  We looked like two old fogeys consulting our tiny little tourist map every half hour.
Our run helped me get a slightly better idea as to where everything is in relation to our hotel.  It wasn't the best run- going out for a run in Paris rush hour is NOT recommended.  Lots of people, traffic and nut bars on scooters.  I think I will try to hit the pavement again tomorrow but first thing in the morning.  The sun doesn't come up until just after 8:00 am since they aren't on daylight savings time here so it will be a run in the dark.  Hopefully I can convince G to come with me.  As much as I love this city during the day, it makes me feel a bit uneasy at night.  I'm not really sure why but it does.  I'm on my own this evening so I grabbed some healthy eats from a nearby take out place and I've hunkered down in the room with my feet up so this is where I plan on staying.
I spent the afternoon shopping in somewhat impractical boots so now my feet are aching.  Didn't help that I spent almost 45 minutes trying to find the gym that is supposed to be "right around the corner" from the hotel.  Ugh!  I desperately need to get my sweat on.  3 days of eating heavier than normal food and drinking a LOT of wine has left me feeling a wee bit sluggish.  I know I said I'd cut myself some slack but I can only take so much before I start feeling like crap.  I think I've hit that point.
Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find the pool that is supposed to be close to the hotel.  If I am lucky enough to find that then a swim will be in the cards.  After that, I'll probably venture out a little farther from the hotel.   Perhaps I'll even head down to the river and over in to the Left Bank for some more shopping adventures.
In the meantime, I'll leave you with a few images from the trip so far.  If you follow me on Instagram you will have seen these along with many others.  If not then ENJOY!
Add caption


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely love the second photo. I miss Paris so much and I was only there for a couple of days, but would go back at the drop of a hat.

Phaedra Kennedy said...

Thanks Kristina! I really like that pic too. I may actually print it and frame it. The city is stunning, that's for sure. So much history it's mind boggling to think that some of the buildings here are 300-400 years old.