Thursday, January 31, 2013

Playlist Thursday - Don't Stop with the Hip Hop

I have to say, when I saw that Hip Hop was the theme for this weeks Playlist Thursday, I thought it was going to be a stretch for me to find 3 tunes that I'd put on my playlist.  Once I started going through my library I was incredibly surprised at just how much of this genre I actually have already.  And just how much of it is on or has been on my playlist.  I even managed to pull out two "something to consider" because I simply couldn't decide which one I liked more.  Love it when I surprise myself, ha ha.

The "Rules" of Playlist Thursday:

Something Old: Songs that are at least 5 years old.
Something Current: Songs that have been released within the past year.
Something to Consider: This is the wild card category. Feel free to list any song: old, current, guilty pleasure, underground, whatever floats yer boat.

And whatever you do, don't forget to head over to Pavement Runner's blog to check out the other participants posts!

Something Old
Artist: L.L. Cool J
Title:  Phenomenon
NotableWho doesn't love L.L.?  You cannot have a hip hop playlist without this man on it.  This song was on my running playlist for ages.  I think I removed it late in 2011.  I think it might be time for a re-introduction.
Quotable: "All these emotions flowing inside the club, do you really wanna thug or do ya want love?"

Something New
Artist: Classified
Title:  Inner Ninja featuring David Myles
NotableGotta be honest, I'm not up on much new hip hop music, but that's what I love about Playlist Thursday, it gives me the opportunity to check out music I might not normally listen to.  I spent a good chunk of time perusing some new releases on iTunes and as soon as I heard this, I thought oh yeah, I dig it, so, onto my playlist it went.
Quotable: "I read the rules before I broke 'em, I broke the chains before they choked me out"

Something to Consider #1
Artist: K-OS
Title:  Crabbuckit
NotableI flipping loved this song when it came outI had it on my spinning playlist and I'd often hit repeat and do a little bike dancing.   And he's a Canuck.  Go Canada!  
Quotable: "Took a trip on a bus that didn't know, met a girl sellin' drinks at the disco said, "Truth comes back when you let it go" seems complicated cause it's really so simple"

Something to Consider #2
Artist: Jay Z vs. The Beatles (Danger Mouse mash up)
Title:  Encore
Notable:  The Beatles were my favourite band when I was a kid and I still love them to this day.  Never in a million years would I have thought that I'd like a mash up of their music with Jay Z but I gotta say, it works.   
Quotable: "So for one last time I need y'all to roar, now what the hell are you waiting for, after me there shall be no more".

Anything on here that you'd add to your playlist?


4 comments:

M.Love said...

GOOD PICKS!! Can't wait to do mine :)

Beka said...

ooo Great picks! I love the Jayz track!

Anonymous said...

Such great picks, Phaedra! I laughed that you picked an LL song but I have to agree with you, I don't know anyone who doesn't love him. Amusingly enough, I tweeted earlier this week about how he crushed my world. *sigh* https://twitter.com/AsphaltNosher/status/295907036955287552

Phaedra Kennedy said...

Ha ha ha...I have to be honest....I watch NCIS Los Angeles mainly because of him. :D