Monday, July 14, 2014

What Next?

Now that #Mingsanity is over, so many people have asked me "what's next".  That's a good question.  Normally I have a solid racing schedule right through until late fall.  This year, I only have two more races officially on my schedule (meaning I've registered for them):  Bala Falls and Toronto Island.  I normally run a fall half and had wanted to do that this year but given the fact that my knees and hip are still bothering me, I don't think it's wise for me to register for anything until I have everything sorted out.   My run club is organizing a trip to Niagara Falls to do the Niagara Falls International Marathon / Half Marathon and I'd LOVE to do that but until I can run without pain, I don't want to commit to anything.

G thinks I'm going to actually have to take some time off.  Not just a week or two.  He's thinking anywhere between 3-6 weeks.   I hate to admit it, but I think he might be right.  I'm not ready to do that just yet so I'm going to continue with A.R.T, doing my PT exercises, getting back into the gym to rebuild my strength and doing my best to get to yoga on a semi regular basis.   That should help me manage the pain for the next two months.   If it's still lingering at the end of my triathlon season, then I will take some time off. 

The other thing I'm going to do is get a gait analysis done.  There are obviously some weird things happening when I'm running so I'd like to find out what's wrong and how to fix it. 

All of that being said, it's hard for me to sit still so of course, I was back at it this past week.  Albeit at a much lower volume.  I got back into the gym as well which I have missed SO MUCH.  I can't believe how much strength I've lost.  I know it will come back quickly once I get back into things.  

This is how my week panned out.

Monday: 2000m swim
Tuesday:  1 hour strength training + PT work, 6.9km run
Wednesday:  2000m swim
Thursday:  1 hour strength training & PT work
Friday:  OFF
Saturday:  1500m open water swim, 63.44km bike.
Sunday:  12 km run

Total time: 7h 52 minutes.  Hmmm...guess that's still kind of a lot.  I didn't feel like it though.  This week, I'll get back on the bike during the week as well since I've got a race coming up in a couple of weeks.  I'm also going to rejoin my run group on Tuesdays.  We'll see how my body responds to that. 

Saturday was too nice a day to NOT be out enjoying it.  Sunday morning was gross but then the rain stopped and I jumped at the chance to get out in the sun.  It was hot and humid but I ran slowly to keep my heart rate down and actually enjoyed myself.   I'm looking forward to getting out again next Sunday!

How was your week of workouts?





2 comments:

Krysten Siba Bishop said...

You are seriously a wild woman!! I think you definitely earned some rest. So just enjoy!

Phaedra Kennedy said...

Thanks Krysten! I think I need it!