Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Hump Day Musings + Another Recipe

Happy Hump Day!

Things are a little quiet around these parts lately so I'm taking the time to get myself organized at home and make sure that the freezer is stocked with good eats.  I finally purged my closet & dresser a couple of weeks ago and I'm almost down to the last bit of stuff that I have to get rid of.  Some things I've donated and other things that I actually spent decent money on, I took to the Kind Exchange to sell.  I've made myself a nice little stash of extra cash.   Some of it went to fund my stash of new running socks.  I'm totally overdue for some new ones. 



Tomorrow night I'm headed to the Running Room at Yonge & Wellington to chat with the marathon clinic about tapering and race strategies.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.  I've been working on my "chat'.  I don't like to get up in front of people and just wing it so I've got to have some notes to refer to.

I had planned on doing a long tempo run last night but it was pouring rain and I really didn't feel like getting soaked so I stayed in, did some laundry and watched a bit of mindless TV.  Sometimes I just need to turn my brain off.  I'll head out and do my run this evening since the sun decided to come out today.   I never used to be such a fairweather runner.   Maybe I'm getting less tolerant of inclement weather as I get older.  Time to move somewhere WARM.

I'm happy to report that I've gotten back into a solid routine.  I've been back at the gym on a regular basis and I've been really good about making sure we've got healthy food prepped.  These last two weekends have been quite productive and I've gotten back to my regularly scheduled Eggs For Breakfast routine.  Which leads me to the REAL reason for this post.   I posted my favourite go to breakfast on Instagram yesterday and promised the recipe today.   It's SUPER easy and that's one of the reasons I love cooking with eggs.  You can't really screw it up.

Sweet Potato, Spinach & Caramelized Onion Fritatta

1 medium sweet potato, cut into cubes & roasted
1 small vidalia or sweet onion, sliced fairly thin
2-3 cups of baby spinach
1 carton of egg whites (I used Burnbrae Farms)
3 eggs (I used Burnbrae Farms Omega 3)
1/4 cup of grated old (sharp) cheddar (I used P.C 2 year old white cheddar)
2-3 tbsp of Olive Oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Cast Iron Pan

Use 1 tbsp of oil to coat the pan so the eggs don't stick.  I usually pour it into the middle of the pan and spread it around with a paper towel.   I've also used coconut oil for this.


Toss sweet potatoes with a bit of the olive oil (enough to coat) and add a pinch of salt.  Roast in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through until lightly browned.  Keep oven on.

While sweet potatoes are roasting,  heat up 1 tbsp of olive oil in a non stick pan.  Lower heat to medium - low and add onion slices.  Saute until golden brown.  Remove from pan and place in oiled cast iron pan.

Add the spinach and cook until wilted.   Add to the cast iron pan.

When the sweet potatoes are done, let them cool and then add them to the pan as well.


In a mixing bowl, whisk 3 eggs & the carton of egg whites together.  Grate cheese and add to the egg mixture.  Pour egg mixture over veggies.  Cook for 20-22 minutes at 400 degrees.  Slice up and store in an airtight container.  Keeps for up to a week.   Just reheat it in the microwave and you've got a delicious and nutritious breakfast in under a minute!



What's your go to breakfast?  

And a little reminder that Tri Talk Tuesday is back NEXT TUESDAY, October 6th and we're talking OFF SEASON.  So swing by and link up!











1 comment:

Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home said...

That looks really tasty. Anything with eggs is a win for me! My favorite way to get my protein.

Good luck tomorrow--I'm sure you will be awesome. I wish I could be there to get inspired!