Monday, December 14, 2015

A Weird Week & Some Good News

I don't know if there is enough coffee in the world to wake me up this morning.  This was a busy weekend.  I'm 99.9% sure I'm done my Christmas shopping.  We finally got our tree.  I started my Christmas baking and we had a family get together that sapped a lot of energy out of me.   Actually yesterday in general was just not a great day.  I am feeling pretty shitty about a lot of things right now.  Mainly my knee situation.  I am frustrated beyond belief and it's really wearing on me so yesterday I had a really good cry.  I'm trying not to go down the worst case scenario road (i.e that I won't have a race season next year).   I just want to feel better.   I have my third shockwave appointment tomorrow, I'm going to try to see my physio friend since things are a bit quieter this week at work and on Saturday I'm going to get my road bike properly fit.  I'm really hoping that things turn around soon.  I hardly did anything this week and I feel like I've gotten worse.  I had a really hard massage on Thursday and all he worked on was my right side.  My ankle mobility isn't great so we worked on releasing some of the muscles / fascia in my lower shin and my calves which was excruciating.  My right adductor is also really tight so he worked on that.  I have a wonderful purple streak down my leg as he had to go pretty deep to work out the tightness.  Things feel a lot looser, at least on my right, ha ha.

I had decided last week that I was going to take the rest of the month off.  When I saw my chiro on Tuesday and told him that, he said he didn't think that was necessary.  He said all I needed to do was moderate my activity and give myself more rest.  THAT made me really happy.  Even with that news, I didn't lace up my shoes and go for a run.  I took it easy for most of the week.  I had intended on swimming as much as possible but my Wednesday swim plans got derailed by a really weird fever that hit me on Tuesday night.  I got back from my shockwave appointment after lunch on Tuesday and about an hour later I started to feel warm, which wasn't unusual - I felt that way the first time I had shockwave.  This time though, it got worse and I started to feel achey and then I started to get chills.  By the time I left work I was running a fever.  I got home and checked my temp.  It was 39 degrees Celsius.  So I had a bit of a fever.  I ran a really hot bath, wrapped myself in my bathrobe and pj's, made some soup, ate that, got in the bath and almost fell asleep.  I got out and took a Benalyn cold and flu and went to bed at 8:00 pm.  I woke up a couple of times and drank some water.  At around 2 am I woke up again and I was soaked.  Completely drenched.  I changed my pj's and went back to bed.  I slept like a log until just after 6:00 am.  When I woke up I felt totally fine.  Whatever it was, I sweat it right out of my body.  Weird.  I missed my morning swim but I was at least able to go to my friend Jo-Anne's Bosu class at Pur Energy Wellness Lofts that night.  THAT was fun and really tough.


 So, things were a little quieter this past week and will probably be similar this week.  My work party is Wednesday night so that means I will not be getting up early on Thursday to do anything, ha ha.  So far I've been pretty good at navigating all the holiday treats and what not but I suspect that after this week, that will probably change.  "Tis the season!

Anyway, here's my pared down week of workouts!

Monday:  Slept in
Tuesday:  60 minute strength training session
Wednesday:  60 minute bosu class
Thursday:  OFF
Friday:  1800m swim
Saturday:  60 minute ride from the Watts Up Home Cycling program while watching U2's HBO Special from their concert in Paris.  HOLY AMAZING.  I wished I had a longer ride so I could have watched the entire thing.

Sunday:  2000m swim.  Then we decorated the tree and headed off to my parents.


Total time:  4h 20 minutes.  I had every intention of getting to yoga but once again, that didn't happen.  I've got all my stuff with me today so hopefully I'll get out of work on time and I'll make it.

Are you done your Christmas shopping?



No comments: