Monday, January 11, 2016

Operation Top 5 Week One: Getting Back To Business

This past week was a good week.  I met with Lauren again, she's given me some new exercises to do, my running is moving along nicely and I put some solid time in on the bike and in the pool.  I also hired a personal trainer for the first time in my life and I met with him on Sunday.   Yup, I'm not messing around this year.  I mean business.  I am so excited by all the potential this year.  It's been a while since I've been this excited.  It feels really nice.

It was kind of nice to get back to work, which essentially means that I have some routine / structure back in my life.  YAY!   I had Monday off, so it was only a four day work week for me which was awesome.  I took advantage of that day off and went over to Xtreme Couture, which is a gym very close to my house, and took a tour and then joined.  It's exactly the kind of place I like.  It's essentially an MMA gym that offers some classes + has a serious weight section.  It will be MUCH better for me than Planet Fitness.  Wednesday night I went into the gym and had my "weight in" and measurements.  As I suspected, I'm carrying a few extra lbs and I've gotten quite soft through my hips and thighs.  But that's ok.  I know that will change, especially now that I'm working with a personal trainer.

This weekend wasn't too action packed which was perfect.  I got a run in after work on Friday,  Saturday morning I had a solid bike workout and then went to WattsUp for their open house.   It was nice to see some familiar faces.   My afternoon was relatively quiet.  I did my physio exercises, worked on my athlete's training plans and did a bit of meal prep.  Sunday was way busier.  I had a swim and a run, a meeting with my friend Jenn for something REALLY exciting that I will share soon.  Then it was off to see my trainer Chris who took me through my paces.   After that I did a bit more meal prep, along with dinner and then had a hot epsom salts bath.

All in all it was a good weekend.

This is how my first week of Operation Top 5 rolled out:

Monday:  3km run - graduated to 2 minutes of running, 1 minute of walking!  It was *just* 20 minutes but I didn't care.

Tuesday:  OFF

Wednesday:  awesome 3000m swim in a.m.  3.3km run in pm

Thursday:  3.7km run in a.m.  It was a beautiful morning.  1h 5 min ride with cadence work in p.m.

Perfect way to start my day!
Friday:  2450m swim, 4.5km run in p.m.


Saturday:  1h 50 minute trainer ride with cadence work then 2x15 minutes in the high end of zone 3. Holy smokes was I ever SOAKED by the time I got off the bike.   You know it's hard when your Garmin tells you it's going to take 44 hours to recover, ha ha.


Sunday:  3350m swim + 5.2km run + 1 hour of strength work.  So much glute work my butt is killing me.   BUT, that's exactly what I need, ha ha.

Total time:  9h 20 minutes.  I managed 20km of running this week and 8800m of swimming!  I had two swims this week that were 3km or over.  It's been a while since I've logged that much mileage in the water.   I have to say, I'm actually really enjoying it.  New year, new attitude, ha ha.

Have you ever worked with a personal trainer?  How was your weekend?










No comments: